Monday 14 September 2015

First Week Activities

I had a great first week of teaching my new grade 3 class! They are lovely group of children, and I am excited for what the year will bring. The first week was spent doing activities based on Melanie Watt's new book "You're Finally Here" and reviewing parts of speech (adverbs, adjectives, nouns and verbs- ask your child about the hilarious game of Hot Potato this entailed!). Today we moved on to learning about subjects and predicates in a sentence, and will soon begin discussing how to stretch a sentence with detail to make it really sparkle. 

One activity that I do with all of my classes as a positive reinforcement/behavioural management tool is a bead system. Each student in the class has a pipe cleaner hanging on the wall. When they are caught listening well, working diligently or helping a friend they are given a bead on their pipe cleaner. At the end of the month the pipecleaners are taken down and are made into bracelets. They will be allowed to bring their bracelets home to keep and you will be able to see just how many beads they earned with me each month! I will also occasionally pass out "Caught You Doing Something Nice" tickets which are simply just small coupons that are given to students who are caught being an extra helpful friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment